Saturday, December 31, 2005

On cleaning the dishes


My roommate likes to cook a lot, which is great because she is a good cook and it helps when someone else makes the food and you can just sit there and read. I was about 10 pages away from finishing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" when she spoke to me. I had been subconsciously associating "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with "The Breakfast Club", which meant that I was missing the point in several ways. Thus, I had been avoiding both the movie, a classic, and the book because I began boycotting Emilio Estevez in the early 1990s. Truman Capote is the author of the novel. I like him now, but before I liked him because other people said he was a good author. Now I have read one of his books and I can like him without the social pressures of faking it. He writes in a familiar voice, something that my good-cookin' roommate compares to informality and marks with scorn. Consequently, she dislikes the following people: Tom Robbins, David Sedaris, Dave Eggers, Superman, etc. But she is cool still. Her question was this: I'm gonna do half the dishes(?)

A small protest leapt into my mouth. I did not create the mess in the kitchen. She did. But it was in the process of making dinner for both of us. A lightning fast decision must be made. The longer I do not respond, the more it seems like I have declined her question/offer. It was a strange dinner, but ultimately tasty. I allowed myself to ponder the consequences of an argument here--first of all, probably no more tasty dinners including soya shaped into chicken-like strips. If meat was to be replaced permanently with soya, I might endorse it. Secondly, an unnecessary tension would build within our domicile. This would make the cat urinate outside of his box, and this is unacceptable.
I decided to agree with her. I would indeed do half the dishes. But not right now, in a little bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home